Sunday, August 16, 2009

Limelight Week 2 with Makiko -- Making Own DP with DP

Hello everyone~ It's Makiko again Welcome to my second week of being in the Limelight!

For today's card, I stamped on some designer paper to make my own designer paper. To give it more texture, I also made it corrugated - after I dusted off my paper crimper, lol. I think one of the great things about stamping is that you can design own backgrounds. I do this a lot, even when I even use designer papers to make a card more my style. ;) Stamping on designer paper is so fun because the patterns peek through from behind the stamped image and gives it a unique design.


This is how I made the corrugated background.
I usually choose the subtle color dp when I stamp on it so that the images can be seen or blend in well. For this blue & white polka dots paper, I stamped the images from Seaside Life with black ink.


Next, I colored the images with Copics - the Warm Naturals collection & the Fresh Tone collection.


Last, I inserted the finished paper through the paper crimper and trimmed the mat to the finished size. Then I edged and DTPed the piece of paper with brown chalk ink & white pigment ink for a distressed finish.



The main seashell images were stamped on Flourishes Classic White cardstock and colored with Copics with the same collections that were used for the background. I also edged around the layers and used vintage embellishments to match to the distressed look.

The last image is the inside of the card. The left over mat was used for the border here :)

Thank you for stopping by today. I hope you will have a wonderful week and a fun stamping time!

15 comments:

Nancy Jensen said...

This is an amazing tutorial! I never thought of making my own DP with DP. Love the results.

Carol Southern said...

I would like to give this a try as it looks fantastic. Thanks Makiko for the tips and I love your card.

Lynn Everett said...

This is just gorgeous. I never thought to stamp over DP. I have made my own DP from scratch, but never did I ever think of doing it this way. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I'll have to give this a try.
Hugs,
Lynn

Carol L said...

This is stunning Makiko, and something that never crossed my mind to try! Your card is just beautifully done with this innovative technique! TFS!

smallcity said...

Maki, this is stunning. I love the soft subtle colors you chose.
Great, Great job.

smallcity

Dru said...

Beautiful - love the classic lines.

Sewflake said...

Makiko, thanks for the insight of using Dp to make custom Dp. I will be giving that a try!

Stampin_melissa said...

Oh Makiko, this is so very lovely! I never thought to stamp on DP like this before! Now I can look at those sheets that just don't do anything for me in a whole new light!

flourishes said...

How very great this is...you got everyone thing about different uses of DP and older tools sitting collecting toots...but that what earned you the title of Limelight Designer...and we flourishes are very happy!
Polymer HUgs,
Jan Marie

Barbara Taylor said...

Outstanding. Love you technique. Thanks for sharing with us.

Stacy Morgan said...

Oh this is just beautiful! I am going to have to try this, great tutorial!

Norine said...

this is just awesome thanks for the tut
Hugs
Norine

Julie Koerber said...

This card is absolutely stunning Maki! I am now thinking of all the ways I can use my dp!! Thanks!

Crystal said...

I love, love, love this card ... beautiful colors !

Francie G. said...

This is beautiful! Love the way you created the wonderful background!